Friday, August 17

DJ Marshall Barnes @ Area - 8/4/07

The Lady Doc, DJ KRC, LC and I had a crazy night out at Area thirteen days ago. It was so crazy that I've just now been able to muster sufficient energy to write about the night's ludicrous extravagance.

Anyway, I had no idea who would be manning the decks that night, nor do I even keep track of what DJs perform in LA clubs. But we struck gold in DJ Marshall Barnes.

There was an indication that things would be good when Marshall spun "Groove Is In The Heart" (which is from 1990, btw) early on in the evening as people were filling the club. I and my crew proceeded to settle in with a bottle of vodka and let the DJ take it from there.

His progression was definitely "a little of this, a little of that" but it all blended perfectly. Marshall played tracks from Cut Copy, The Rapture, Timbaland, JT, LCD Soundsystem, and a slew of great hip-hop and dance tracks in-between. The mixing was flawless, with sometimes only a minute or less of a prime track before slipping in to the next one. And it all got the crowd shakin'.

Marshall plays mostly in LA but seems to have gigs across the U.S. as well as abroad. (He actually just played near my hometown on 8/12.) Check his site or Myspace for coming attractions.


No comments: