Thursday, October 18

Live: The National @ The Wiltern Theater - 9/28/07

The night before my ten-year high school reunion, with an exhausted Lady Doc in tow, I caught a live performance by The National. I was really excited after seeing their recent TV performances in support of Boxer, which just so happens to be one of my fave records of this year. Man, these guys played a great set to a full house at The Wiltern. They began with "Start A War" and, in around three minutes, proceeded to flex the full range of their dynamics in a way not heard in the recorded version of that track. The band continued with a great selection of songs from Boxer and Alligator. Frontman Matt Berninger said very little between songs, but I do remember a sincere and slightly overwhelmed "This is awesome!" in reference to the crowd's energy. I couldn't agree more.










No comments: