Thursday, December 4

Show Alert: Wilderness @ The Echo - 12/9/08

I associate Wilderness' 2005 self-titled debut with the worst summer of my life. The record was released on July 5 -- over a month into my grueling studies for the California Bar Exam. With over three weeks until the most important three days of my life, Wilderness provided with me an escape, a release, a, well, wilderness. I'd let the driving percussion, ringing guitar, and James Johnson's guttural vocals wash over me and remind me that life existed outside of the library.

In the three years since then, Wilderness have released two more LPs: 2006's Vessel States and last month's (k)no(w)here. The band have stuck to their guns and offered more of the derived yet distinct grooves found on their debut.

Wilderness will be showcasing their mesmerizing strain of post-rock at The Echo on December 9. Info and tickets ($10) here. Check them live from Brooklyn last March:

No comments: