Wednesday, November 21

The Republic Tigers

Even though almost every show I cover on SSM takes place in Los Angeles, my hometown is Kansas City. I got involved with the K.C. music scene during high school and have kept up with it since moving away over ten years ago. When I go home, I try and hit a few key stomping grounds and visit with some cats to catch up on local music developments. Of course, the internet has made keeping tabs on things -- and actually hearing bands -- much easier.

I came across The Republic Tigers much as I have discovered other music. I linked to their MySpace page through one of the many other awesome Kansas City bands and was instantly hooked by the track "Made Concrete". A lot of musicians blend acoustic and electronic pop sounds, but there was an immediacy and truth to this song that just worked. The layers, the vocals, the tones...it was all there. Of course, I listened to everything else they had online and eventually got my hands on their demo.

Fast-forward to now. The Republic Tigers have signed with a new imprint called Chop Shop Records. They've got an E.P. coming out in December and an L.P. in March '08. And although they've really only played the Kansas City area, they will be at The Hideout in Chicago on November 24th and L.A.'s Spaceland on December 19th.

This band is awesome and has a ton of potential. The next year has a lot in store for them and I'll be keeping you posted. For now, I highly recommend picking up their E.P. when it's released, checking out their tunes online in the meantime, and joining me at Spaceland -- or wherever else you might be able to catch them.

Photos by Forester.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Man, that one on the left is hot! ;)

Jennifer said...

Also, did you know that Lee's cousin, Josh, is the drummer for Ghosty? Just fyi.

Me said...

Same story here... Moved to LA a little over 4 years ago, originally from Kansas City. Still keep in touch with most my friends back home... love the republic tigers, I'll see you at the Spaceland show on the 19th!

-New Juice Music
http://new-juice-music.blogspot.com

sonic spectrum said...

You can find The Republic Tigers' song "Made Concrete" on the OxBlood Records compilation titled First Blood. It's available now on itunes or bluecollardistro.com Also featured are Ghosty, White Whale, Roman Numerals, The Golden Republic and more.

DJ KRC said...

The OxBlood compilation is a great find. Nice review, man. When are they coming to San Francisco!?

Stuart said...

Hopefully you wont miss this.
They are on Steve Jones show on indie 103.1 at 12 noon Dec 11.

Me said...

The last song they played on Jonsey's Jukebox was a gem... I'm excited as hell to hear the full-length album!

Kirsten said...

Hey SSM,
Kirsten from Olympic Size here! Thanks for the link to our myspace page! Glad you like our stuff. FYI, I contributed vocals to a track ("Cast On, Cast Off") on the upcoming Tigers release. I have heard the record all the way through, and let me tell you, IT IS FANTASTIC, and you are right to show them so much love!!!!! KC Pride :)!!!!
xo,
kp